Coker Splits Season Opener in Wingate Double-Header

Coker Splits Season Opener in Wingate Double-Header

WINGATE, N.C. - The Coker softball team split the series 1-1 against Wingate University (4-2) on Saturday (Feb. 9). 

In the first game of the double header, Wingate got on the scoreboard first in the bottom of the fourth inning to take a 1-0 lead over the Cobras. 

Coker was unable to score runs throughout the fifth and sixth innings, but in the top of the seventh with one out junior Sydney Weatherford singled to right field to give the Cobras new life.  Stacy Burr was then able to put the ball into play and advance to first, while Weatherford was able to reach second base thanks to a Wingate error.  Jaclin Poole stepped up to the plate and drove in the game tying RBI.

Wingate responded in the bottom of the seventh when Brittany Owens tripled to right center with two outs.  On the ensuing play, Wingate grounded to Poole where she fielded the ball and fired it into home for Burr to apply the tag on Wingate's Owens and force extra innings.

In the top of the eighth, the Cobras wasted little time getting runners in scoring position.  Bryant McLendon led off for Coker with a single to center field.  Then the speedy Jordan Atkinson was brought in to pinch run for McLendon.  Two more Cobras got on base to load the bases as senior outfielder Sarah Rountree stepped up to the plate.  Rountree then sent a shot to right center to drive in two RBIs and take the lead. 

The Cobras were then able to secure the 4-2 victory with a three-up, three-down defensive stand in the bottom of the eighth.

In the second game, Wingate took control early and never looked back.  The Bulldog's knocked in six runs on seven hits to take a 6-0 advantage over the Cobras.  Wingate continued their scoring spree in the third and fourth innings, and ended the game with an 8-0 shutout in the fifth. 

The Cobras will be back in action on Sunday (Feb. 10), as they host Newberry College in a double-header home opener.  The first game starts at 1 p.m., followed by the second game at 2 p.m.