CHARLOTTE, N.C., (January 27, 2007) —Queens’ women’s basketball fought back from a 22-point deficit in the second half to take the lead by one point with two minutes to play against Coker College.   The Royals lost to Coker 75-79 in Ovens Athletic Center in the closing seconds.

Royals “Fee” Turner cut the Cobras lead to eight in the first half with a three pointer off a Jenna Dawson assist with 3:34 to play in the first half.  Coker would respond with a quick basket of their own to extend the lead back to ten.  Dawson would connect with Turner for another basket to cut the lead to eight.  However, the Cobras would end the half on a 10-0 run to extend their lead to 18 going into intermission.   The Royals shot 25% in the second half going 8-32.  Turner was 4-5 in field goals and 3-3 at the free throw line scoring half (12 of 24) of Queens points in the first 20-minutes of play.

“Our scoring droughts continue to undermine all the good things that we are doing in the game,” said head coach Jenny Yopp.   "We have got to focus on our execution and not get caught up in what happen at the other end of the floor."

The Royals would find themselves down by 22 with 15 minutes to play in the second half.  Queens would increase their defensive pressure by trapping in the half court sending the Coker Cobras into frenzy of poor offensive play.  With increased momentum the Royals would turn the tide at the 12-minute mark on a Jacquia Winsted basket from Ciera Brown putting Queens in the drivers seat.  Queens would start their assault on the score taking the lead by one at the 2:31 mark on a Winstead basket.  The Cobras would counter and move their advantage to five on a field goal and three free throws.  With the Royals down by five, Winstead drilled a three pointer in transition from 22-feet to cut the lead to two with 12 seconds left.  Fouling quickly, the Royals sent Coker to the line where they calmly extended their lead to four and extinguished Queens’ hopes of their biggest come back victory of the season.

“We played very well in the second half,” said Coach Yopp.  “Our defensive pressure was outstanding and our offense flowed from that pressure.  We scored 51 points in the second half.  We need to play like that for 40-minutes."

Turner led the Royals with 23 points including 9-13 free throws with solid aggressive offensive play.  Ashley McGuirt nailed four 3-pointers in the second half and was 2-2 at the free throw line to finish with 14 points on the night.   Winstead knocked down 12 going 5-10 from the field.  Kayla Babson had 11 rebounds to lead the Royals.   

The Royals return to action Monday, January 29th when they travel to St. Andrews Presbyterian College in S.C.